We are always looking for the best ways to get that glowy flawless skin. Well let’s take it back to basics with steaming. Steaming the skin is a great way to loosen dirt and clogged pores. The heat induces sweating which flushes out the pores. Freshly steamed skin is much more receptive to products you put on your face afterward, enhancing their effect. Steaming the skin is a great time to take up to 5-15 minutes to relax and reflect, and even meditate.
Dermologist Elizabeth Tanzi of Capital Laser & Skin Care shows the wonders of steaming, “Steam helps to increase oil production to moisturize skin, and it can bring a nice, healthy glow to dull skin”. The process is safe for everyone, except those who are prone to redness or have rosacea which should be avoided. Steaming is also beneficial during the winter months or for those with dry skin because it helps increase hydration. This is all something we want right now.
One of the old school techniques is home steaming, which is free and works just as well. Always start by cleansing the skin before starting. Ensure you drink plenty of water before exposing your skin to any kind of heat. Here are top tips for home steaming.
Step 1- Your Base
- You can just use tap of distilled water for your steaming, or you can try something different. Instead of drinking a cuppa why not use it for your steam. Beauty teas offer health benefits that are good for you from the inside out, like antioxidants. They’re also supposed to help your body release toxins. Why not try Green Tea as it contains polyphenols, which has protective and anti-aging benefits. You will be looking and feeling great inside and out.
Step 2 – Adding Herbs and Oils
- You can just use step one for your steam, or you can add dried herbs and oils which can offer extra benefits. Different herbs can be beneficial for different skin types, and different oils for calming or invigorating effects.
Chamomile can help with skin inflammation and dermatitis, making it great for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
This fragrant herb may be a good option for those with oily skin.
This herb is great for dry skin or eczema, and it has relaxing aromatherapy benefits. It’s great to do before an evening of unwinding, and will prepare you for a blissful night’s sleep.
This oil derived from the geranium flower is a natural astringent that tightens and tones the skin.
If you deal with acne or are congested, this is a great option. Also, if you have the common cold which unfortunately it’s that time of year this will help.
Along with having uplifting aromatherapy properties, orange may also help with blocked pores and a dull complexion. This will give you that glow dewy skin you are after.
Step 3 – The steam itself
- Keep your eyes closed.You’ll be more comfortable, you won’t risk irritating your eyes, and you can allow your eyelids to enjoy the benefits of the steam.
- Keep your face 6 to 10 inches away.You don’t want to get too close to the bowl or sink and risk getting burned. Listen to your skin and do what feels comfortable.
- After the steam rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.Your skin will be extra sensitive, so you don’t want to irritate it by rubbing with a towel.
- Once cleansed a clay mask is great option as it has the ability to cleanse, and also cool down the skin. Now you can apply your favourite moisturiser, serum or facial oil and your skin will feel amazing. Want to add a bit more pampering to your home treatment by adding a facial massage. Use your fingers to gently massage your forehead, cheeks, and neck using upward strokes.
Wardrobe malfunctions no more! Kim Kardashians new SKIMS Body Tape is an upgrade of a classic Cleavage Hack.
Ever had that garment you would love to wear but was too scared of wardrobe or boob malfunctions? The days of using gaffer tape are gone! Remember the pain of having to remove the tape. Even though its great if you are on a budget and does the job, the pain isn’t...
The ultimate skin care guide. Take our skin quiz to find out your skin type and the must have Origins products for your skin.
Do you always struggle when you are shopping for skincare products? There is no point spending a fortune on products which are wrong for your skin. The key to developing a skin care regime is being able to analyse your skin type first. We are here to help and it...
H&M is one of our favourite high street brands here at Benito HQ. It’s known for creating fantastic fashion collaborations, and its only just getting started with its homeware collaborations. The first ever collection is with one of the ultimate interior and...